I think you're confusing a selection in the timeline with a selection of
tracks. The two are different. A track selection is used for stuff like making
a track inactive, deleting, showing or hiding, etc. A selection within a track
or multiple tracks has to do with a start and end time along with an insertion
point.

In previous versions of Pro Tools, the insertion cursor had nothing to do with
which tracks were "selected." One could perform an action like "Hide selected
tracks" or "Make selected tracks inactive" while an insertion cursor was
located in an unrelated track. Now, it's possible, within the preferences, to
have the insertion cursor determine which track is currently "selected" but,
again, that kind of selection has to do with the ability to do things like
deleting the track itself, making it active or inactive to free up voices,
performing global actions to that track along with other selected tracks while
making a selection within a track differs in that it has to do with a start and
end point.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Slau