I'm not saying don't write to people, I'm saying take the approach
that's gonna get on the right side of people and use your energy the
most effective way you can. It doesn't hurt to write to developers and
companies to make them aware of your existence and whatever usability
issues you're experiencing. It can, however, hurt a lot to get off on
the wrong foot with whoever reads that initial approach. That's why I
make contact as a humble end user, and leave the legal bombs to be
dropped by the type of people who actually understand the legalities
and know how to speak the language of law. Similarly, it doesn't hurt
to make anyone aware that you're a student, but personally I'd steer
well clear of trying to use education as some sort of game-changer
unless you're employed by a name that carries some weight in that
field. My point is that some of the words you're using can very easily
come over as abrupt and/or threatening. That's something you need to
consider because A) you don't want whoever reads your email to finish
reading with that impression as the takeaway and B) you're not in a
position to pull out the big guns and back up the type of language
you're using. None of us are.

For what it's worth, my advice is to forget the law, forget that
you're writing on behalf of however many thousand blind people, and
concentrate on how you're coming across. Every positive change I've
had a hand in making when it comes to accessibility has been as a
result of concise emails that've portrayed me as a keen and
approachable end user who's happy to put his money where his mouth is.
I'm yet to see any other approach work. That's not discrediting the
Pro Tools petition btw, because even that relied on an established
relationship between Digidesign and a couple of key faces as opposed
to thousands of angry blind people blustering on about someone being
held accountable for something.

To finish on a more positive note, it's probably worth pointing out
here that I've never yet seen a plugin developer who's unwilling to
provide a refund if you can't use their plug and they're not willing
or able to improve that situation. If there's a demo, try before you
buy obviously. If not, I usually establish a quick friendly dialogue
before making the purchase to let them know I'm gonna take it for a
spin and agree what'll happen if it doesn't work out. In 12 years of
doing this stuff, I've only ever had to push unreasonably hard for a
refund once. Nice going, Toontrack.

Scott