OK, great and, by the way, whenever you reply, you seem to only be replying to 
me rather than the PTAccess email list. Check to see that your email client is 
behaving as expected. Cheers,
Slau

> On Mar 19, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Steve Matzura <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> My brutha, you speaka-my-language! LOL! It's not all or always about what one 
> reads, it's about what one can or does deduce from inhaling that knowledge, 
> and I'm all about the inhaling, deducing and applying.
> 
> I'm very used to shrinking and expanding things--musical objects, memory 
> objects, CADCAM objects--without immediate feedback as to the new shape of 
> said object after manipulating it, therefore having to manually check its new 
> dimensional parameters. Shouldn't pose a problem here.
> 
> I have two goals: short-term, to get some meaningful work done--lay down some 
> tracks, both audio and MIDI, and fix performance errors; long-term, very long 
> it looks like, learn the program as best I can. I think between my 
> in-the-dark hacking and applying results therefrom, and going through that 
> manual, the darkness will recede and these two goals can (and will) be 
> accomplished over time, with lots of overtime put in on both. These methods 
> are how I have approached just about everything complicated and complex in my 
> life, and they've served me well so far, so I'll take your fine advice and 
> mix in a bit of my own intrpidness.
> 
> On 3/19/2018 9:49 AM, Slau Halatyn wrote:
>> Steve,
>> Sorry for the delayed response but this is a difficult question to answer. 
>> Everything depends on your goal. If you want to know the program well, 
>> there's no shortcut to reading the reference Guide. Yes, I know, it's like 
>> fifteen hundred pages but it contains essentially everything you need. 
>> Naturally, skip the video chapters. You probably don't need to worry about 
>> sync and surround material as well. An enormous amount of material is 
>> repetitive but it helps emphasize key points. As blind users, there's a 
>> disadvantage we face in that on-screen changes are not easily detected and 
>> those very changes speak volumes about functionality. For example, trimming 
>> the right edge of a clip boundary with a keyboard shortcut goes completely 
>> undetected unless you specifically read the length counter to verify the 
>> behavior. Naturally, you don't need to verify the behavior once you know how 
>> it works and what's going on but nowhere in the manual will there be an 
>> instruction to check the length counter. A sighted user immediately sees 
>> that the clip has clearly become shortened. What a blind user needs to 
>> understand is that the shortcut trims the right boundary of the clip and the 
>> user has to logically deduce that, if the clip has been shortened and it's 
>> still selected, well then, the selection must itself be shorter. Hey, let's 
>> check the length of the selected clip. Guess what?
>> 
>> I simply use this example to illustrate how, when reading the manual, blind 
>> users need to use deductive reasoning to experiment and verify results. 
>> This, in the end, makes for a deeper understanding of the environment. I've 
>> never, ever said that learning Pro Tools is easy. In fact, it's quite 
>> difficult in a way, especially for a blind user, but it's absolutely worth 
>> it. There are people who only need to edit audio files and they struggle 
>> with other applications and platforms. Meanwhile, Pro Tools is, hands down, 
>> the best audio editor out there and it's ninety nine percent accessible. And 
>> the one percent that isn't accessible is stuff that's so esoteric that 
>> you'll never need that functionality. Mind you, I'm talking about audio 
>> editing and not the entire scope of what Pro Tools can do. So, with 
>> virtually complete accessibility through keyboard shortcuts alone, some 
>> users will simply not read the chapter on audio editing and look at the 
>> keyboard shortcuts list and experiment.
>> 
>> All that said, a proper tutorial on audio editing would probably go a long 
>> way but it has to be done well. There's nothing as bad as a disorganized and 
>> poorly executed tutorial. Perhaps that's something that I might tackle at 
>> some point. We've gotten a bunch of new users and I'm afraid many of them 
>> are not inclined to put in the daunting amount of work to learn how to do 
>> basic editing. Some get it instantly and others struggle. If I can carve out 
>> some time, I'll put something together.
>> Best,
> 
>> slau
>> 
>>> On Mar 17, 2018, at 10:56 AM, Steve Matzura <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>> While I consider myself a reasonably efficient stumbler (LOL), what's a 
>>> better method of self-learning Pro Tools? So far, the concepts are clear 
>>> enough, but moving within the environment sometimes bogs me down because I 
>>> don't yet know where to find things in specific windows or dialogs, not to 
>>> mention which windows to keep open in order for shortcut keys to work 
>>> properly, so I do spend a lot of time fumfering around, opening things to 
>>> see what's inside, and eventually finding what I'm looking for. So far, 
>>> I've hacked my way through laying down a few audio tracks, and from 
>>> listening to a demo Slau posted in the PT WhatsApp group, have been 
>>> successful at some very basic editing. The next thing I want to tackle is 
>>> adding an effect to some recorded audio, and then jumping into MIDI-land, 
>>> particularly via Komplete Kontrol and other VST instruments I have 
>>> installed. I'd also love to have a short-list of what I should stay away 
>>> from--things that don't work, that we can't use--so I won't be tempted by 
>>> them.
>>> 
>>> -- 
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>>> "Pro Tools Accessibility" group.
>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>>> email to [email protected].
>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
> 
> 

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pro 
Tools Accessibility" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to