From: One Voice - One People, Human Rights Defenders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Val Kerrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Veronica Hoskisson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Dave Fredricks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Ian McLeod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Jim Jardine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Jim Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Kerry Spencer-Salt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Peter Rettke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Ray and Sonya Nix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Rex Warren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Monday, 30 April 2001 8:05
Subject: Brian Fyffe

Dear Friends

As earlier advised Erica and myself went to Melbourne to visit Brian Fyffe in prison. Before leaving I rang the prison and asked about there procedure. I sent a fax to the governor of the prison requesting professional visit rights as a human rights organisation.

When we arrived at the prison, we were refused any visiting rights. I then contacted a Victorian member of Parliament and was referred to the Minister for Corrective Services. His adviser contacted the office of the Commissioner for Corrective Services. We also met with Brian Fyffe's daughter, Judy Mastwyk and various people who tried to help us. After spending one day trying to assert our rights as an human rights organisation to visit Brian Fyffe, the officers of these department became very agitated and would have - on the end of the day - just bent so far to allow us a social visit. We declined because this would have defeated the purpose.

At the moment we are drafting a letter to the UN and their Human Rights Committee about this situation. Nevertheless people in Australia need to ask them selves whether they want protection of human rights and therefore would be willing to fight for them. At the moment there are no rights they are able to claim regardless what the many pages of paper of acts of the law and covenants may say.

Best regards

Brigitte Straulino.