Hi,

On 17/09/2008 11:53, Chris Bizer wrote:

Hi all,

over the last weeks, we have extended the Berlin SPARQL Benchmark (BSBM) to a multi-client scenario, fine-tuned the benchmark dataset and the query mix, and implemented a SQL version of the benchmark in order to be able to compare SPARQL stores with classical SQL stores.

Today, we have released the results of running the BSBM Benchmark Version 2 against:

+ three RDF stores (Virtuoso Version 5.0.8, Sesame Version 2.2, Jena TDB Version 0.53) and + two relational database-to-RDF wrappers (D2R Server Version 0.4 and Virtuoso - RDF Views Version 5.0.8).

for datasets ranging from 250,000 triples to 100,000,000 triples.

In order to set the SPARQL query performance into context we also report the results of running the SQL version of the benchmark against two relational database management systems (MySQL 5.1.26 and Virtuoso - RDBMS Version 5.0.8).

It is interesting to see:

4. that the fastest RDF store is still 7 times slower than a relational database.
Has has there been any analysis on whether there is a *fundamental* reason for such performance difference? Or is it simply a question of "maturity" - in other words, relational db technology has been around for a very long time and is very mature, whereas RDF implementations are still quite recent, so this gap will surely narrow ...?

Cheers

Daniel Schwabe
Tel:+55-21-3527 1500 r. 4356
Fax: +55-21-3527 1530