On 9/7/10 10:08 PM, Darin Fisher wrote:
On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Kenneth Russell <k...@google.com <mailto:k...@google.com>> wrote:

    On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Nathan <nat...@webr3.org
    <mailto:nat...@webr3.org>> wrote:
    > Jian Li wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Several specs, like File API and WebGL, use ArrayBuffer, while
    other spec,
    >> like XMLHttpRequest Level 2, use ByteArray. Should we change to
    use the
    >> same
    >> name all across our specs? Since we define ArrayBuffer in the
    Typed Arrays

https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/webgl/doc/spec/TypedArray-spec.html),
    >> should we favor ArrayBuffer?
    >>
    >> In addition, can we consider adding ArrayBuffer support to
    BlobBuilder,
    >> FormData, and XMLHttpRequest.send()?
    >
    > which reminds me, I meant to ask if the aforementioned
    TypedArray spec
    > should be brought in to webapps / w3c land? seems to complement
    the other
    > base types used in webidl etc rather well + my gut reaction was
    why isn't
    > this standardized within w3c?

    There's no particular reason why the Typed Array spec is being
    standardized in the Khronos group, aside from the fact that these
    array-like types originated in the WebGL spec and have evolved to meet
    use cases specified by WebGL. We have been hoping that they would have
    uses outside of WebGL, and some discussions have occurred with working
    groups such as TC39 to see how they might be better specified and
    standardized. We'd be open to hosting the spec development elsewhere.

    Vlad mentioned to me off-list that Mozilla has implemented an
    experimental mozResponseArrayBuffer on XHR objects, and will likely do
    the same on the File API to add a readAsArrayBuffer alongside
    readAsBinaryString etc.

    -Ken

It sounds like ArrayBuffer is the name that is gaining traction (to circle back to Jian's original question about naming).

In fact, readAsArrayBuffer / ArrayBuffer is used with FileReader, and will be the names going forward. ArrayBuffer is gaining traction as the used name :)

-- A*

-Darin