On 2012-02-18 10:20, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 10:15:28 +0100, Paul Libbrecht <p...@hoplahup.net>
wrote:
WHEN I registered a media-type on the ietf list I have been quite much
hit as the first comment "one says media-type nowadays". And indeed
MIME is meant for email originally.

So I guess politically media-type is a requirement.
Should I dig for a formal requirement?

HTML and other specifications use MIME type. Media type is ambiguous
with CSS.

The correct term IMHO is "(Internet) Media Type", so disambiguation is possible.

I don't believe it's helpful to maintain different sets of terminology. Use the official term, and when disambiguation is needed, it's trivial to do so.

Best regards, Julian