On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Chris Lilley <ch...@w3.org> wrote:
> On Saturday, February 18, 2012, 7:02:45 PM, Anne wrote:
>
> AvK> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 13:47:08 +0100, Paul Libbrecht <p...@hoplahup.net>
> AvK> wrote:
>>> Well, I think it's the duty of the W3C to use the vocabulary of the
>>> people that define this kind of thing.
>
> AvK> FWIW, the duty of the W3C is to bring the web to its full potential, not
> AvK> quibble over terminology.
>
> So just call it 'Internet Media Type' like the IETF and IANA do, and quit
> quibbling.

I wish they did, consistently. See RFC 4288 (just "media type") and
the registry itself ("MIME media type")
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/index.html>.  Plus
they're still routinely referred to as "MIME types" in many IETF
contexts, including the ietf-types list!

In short, I believe the name change was a failure.

My suggestion would be to use "MIME type (aka Internet media type)"
initially, but stick with "MIME type" thereafter.

Mark.