On Sep 9, 2014, at 6:31 AM, Johannes Wilm <johan...@fiduswriter.org> wrote:

> Absolutely. if this division means we can get into a saner place faster (and
> with a higher likelihood that it will actually happen) then I am all for it.
>
> Of course the long-term future of the web should be taken into consideration
> as well, and as I understand it, this could be part of the second part then.
>
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Piotr Koszuliński
> I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I believe that after long
> discussions we left the question "what should contenteditable=minimal be?"
> unanswered. First the intention events lists should be created, so we can see
> what needs to be handled. And this is what Ben Peters is working on.
>
> Still we may also take in consideration that there are limited resources
> available for working on the specs. Therefore the whole work could be
> separated into two *independent* topics:
>  1. Intention events + execCommand.
>  2. contenteditable=“minimal”
>
> That's what I was proposing as well - to have the base (which consists mainly
> of fixed selection API and intention events) ready as soon as possible, so
> hopefully browser makers can start implementing it and then we, editor
> makers, can start using it. This part will already improve the current
> situation a lot, but it's itself pretty hard as we can see. Then, if anyone
> will be still interested, a specification for default browser's actions can
> be created. It's a huge task and there are a lot of controversial topics like
> the famous delete/backspace behaviour when merging blocks and that's why I
> would not recommend starting these discussions right now.

Could you clarify what use cases could be addressed by implementing 1?

Since I consider the lack of concrete use cases to be one of the reasons the
last few iterations/attempts to implement something like these have failed, I
would really like to have a list of concrete use cases that are to be addressed
by each specification listed above.

- R. Niwa