There is now an Editing Explainer [1] and a User Intentions Explainer [2],
which should help scope the problems and help us drive forward on both areas. I
haven't done much to fine tune them yet, but please let me know if you have
feedback on this split from the initial Commands Explainer document. Thanks!

[1] http://w3c.github.io/editing-explainer/
[2] http://w3c.github.io/editing-explainer/commands-explainer.html