No, I have never made any such assumptions.  You seem to think that Forum
subcommittees will go “wild” – but there’s nothing in the Forum’s last 13 years
to suggest that will happen.

Remember this – if all governance changes are pushed to a new Chartered Working
Group, the WG itself could go “crazy” just the same as a Subcommittee of the
Forum could go “crazy” (extremely unlikely) – but the CWG actually can’t *do*
anything.  It can’t draft and vote on its own WG ballots to change the Bylaws.
Instead, the WG can only forward draft ballots to change the Bylaws to the
Forum itself, where the ballot votes would occur.

So even if Google protected itself from “unsafe” things by choosing not to
participate in a new Governance Working Group – you would be in the boat anyway
just as soon as the Governance WG sends its draft ballot to the Forum for a
vote – whether or not Google votes, Google is “participating” in the vote at
the Forum level and so will be exposed to whatever IP risk exists (I think
there is none – there has never been IP risk in the past to Forum members from
Bylaws changes).  In other words, Google is no safer from an IP perspective if
governance / Bylaw changes occur in a Working Group versus in a Subcommittee of
the Forum.

However, if you have specific examples or analysis that shows greater risk from
Bylaws changes drafted in a Subcommittee versus drafted in a WG (where the
actual ballot is voted on at the Forum level in both cases), I would be
interested to hear them.