--

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 06:35:38
From: kendell clark <coffeekin...@gmail.com>
To: "orca-l...@gnome.org" <orca-l...@gnome.org>
Subject: Re: [orca-list] update on the antergos problems

Hi
I?m sorry, I should?ve been clearer. I didn?t mean to accuse debian guys of
making a mistake, but rather that speech-dispatcher?s pulse audio code itself
needs reworking, and that the debian guys who are maintaining speech dispatcher
might want to, when they have time of course, take a look. I don?t remember the
details, but luke said several times that speech dispatcher?s pulse audio code
needed a lot of work, something about speech dispatcher using a simple API and
pulse audio having a ? a ? oh what was it, more complex one but that speech
dispatcher wasn?t using it? Something like that. I can try alsa or even better,
libao. I?m hesitant to use speech dispatcher?s alsa backend because it?s even
worse than it?s pulse backend. Especially with espeak. It hangs nearly
constantly, and that?s with espeak, not espeak ng. I?m not even sure it would
work with espeak ng. Also, I believe luke ripped it out. The only supported
backends are now pulse or libao. I will try libao though. A
gain, I?
m not absolutely certain speech dispatcher is at fault. I am fairly certain,
since when   I lose speech, orca starts but doesn?t speak, orca?s preferences
open, progress bars beep, etc but there?s no speech. Fiddling with pulse audio
will restore speech, for a little bit. I really wish in times like this orca
would rely on espeak ng directly instead of going through speech dispatcher. I
understand the logic both for and against sd, but at least have a backup so if
problems like this come up you?re not left with no speech. Just think what
would happen if a new user were hit with this. They?d probably conclude that
Linux is buggy and doesn?t work well, run back to what they were using and ?
well you get the idea. I?m not trying to start a debate either, only pointing
out that this isn?t a problem a new user would be able to solve. I?m able to
limit the damage it does, but I can?t fix it.
Thanks
Kendell Clark

Sent from Mail for Windows 10