So Charlie, Spencer, Eric0 and I just had a quick convo on #puppet-dev
about where non-breaking changes to puppet should land, given that the
transition to puppet 4 will take a while for many sites. The tldr was the
proposal that:

* non-breaking changes should default to 3.7.x until some time passes after
4.0 is out

For PRs, this implies a bit of a change to our SOP (which makes sense since
that SOP was pretty driven by the last 2.5 years of 3.y releases). I.e. the
SOP has been, roughly: only regressions in the last Y go to stable, new bug
fixes and features go to master.

So I think to implement this we would instead want to:

* target non-breaking changes at stable for now (and merge up to master of
course)
* when we release puppet 4, we create a 3.7.x branch and then:
** non-breaking changes go to 3.7.x (and are merged up -> stable -> master)

And then some time after 4.0 is out, we would switch that default (and the
3.7.x branch then presumably becomes security/critical fixes only).

Thoughts?

Kylo
--
Kylo Ginsberg | k...@puppetlabs.com | irc: kylo | twitter: @kylog

*Join us at **PuppetConf 2015, October 5-9 in Portland, OR - *
http://2015.puppetconf.com.
*Register early to save 40%!*