On 2014-05-12 3:56, Kylo Ginsberg wrote:
On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Henrik Lindberg <henrik.lindb...@cloudsmith.com <mailto:henrik.lindb...@cloudsmith.com>> wrote:

    On 2014-04-12 22:24, Kylo Ginsberg wrote:

        * non-breaking changes should default to 3.7.x until some time
        passes after 4.0 is out

    Eh, no, not in general please. We have lots of code removal and
    anything that needs to go through the process of being
    implemented both an old and a new way should not be done at all on
    stable IMO except if there is burning need / bug.

    We have removed lots of code to save us work, remove complexity etc.

    I am fine with "non-breaking /bug fixes/ should default to 3.7.x
    until some time passes after 4.0 is out".

Ah yes, I agree. I was thinking "bug fixes" specifically (but the wrong words came out).

Maybe the criteria are more like "non-breaking bug fixes, not in support of any deprecated features, and trivially merged up to 4.x" or some such.

    There is no need to rename branches.

I *think* we'd still need an additional branch if we want to support any level of changes to 3.7.x after 4.0 is released b/c we'd have:
* branch for 3.7.x
* branch for 4.0.x
* branch for 4.1/5.0
which could be named 3.7.x/stable/master respectively (although we should discuss Josh H's comment too). Or am I missing your point here?

You are right when we reach 4.0.0, we will use stable for 4.0.x, and master for 4.x, so we do need a 3.7.x branch. The workflow will be "backwards compatible bugfixes that do not involve removed features" go to 3.7.x, then stable, and then master.

And as you said, the work is really setting up CI and have the extra 3.7.x branch being managed.

- henrik