FWIW,

(1) at my current shop, there's an immense hatred of everything JVM. That's
going to be a hard transition. Not to mention Puppet is the only place we
run Ruby, so it's nice and easy to let puppet do whatever it wants with
Ruby. Not so much for installing JVMs that may break production (improperly
configured and installed, I'll grant) applications.

(2) I've gotta say, I'll really miss dropping log statements directly in
the puppet source when something seems wonky (and not having to compile
something).