On 9/29/14 2:09 AM, Ken Barber wrote:

         The information around tuning Passenger/Puppet explicitly provided
by Puppet Labs was mostly crap.

Indeed, it was a bit of a black art because of this. It wasn't until
later that Passenger even added the ability to reasonably introspect
what was going on in Passenger.

It would be extremely useful for everyone if
there were 4-8 pages of serious and indepth docs specifically about running
puppet_server on the JVM. If that doesn't happen, you'll be fighting the
supposed poor performance of every un-tuned puppet_server installation for
years.

Sounds like something ticket-worthy to mention. We already have some
of this for PuppetDB, a lot of it is similar for this platform as
well. I'm pretty sure this will become a hot topic, so I doubt it will
be left alone. I expect the new puppet-server to incur more traffic
than PuppetDB for example, so they'll probably see issues we have not.

I can take a shot at it. Where's the best place to put it? Or if you want to file it, I'll update it. My list at the moment looks like following if anyone else wants to chime in.

Tuning
- puppet_server specific tuning for JVM 7/8/whatever.
- Call out the top five terrible "go fast options" that are commonly found in blog posts.
- Discussion of puppet_server bottlenecks. CPU. It's always CPU.

Operating
- The effects of of restarting, hard and graceful
- Discussion/support of log levels, where to log, etc.
- Haproxy in front, ssl termination, and other HA or throughput enhancing techniques.

Monitoring
  - status routes (is the puppet_server up and mostly working)
  - dependency routes (can puppet_server hit puppet_db, etc)

Statistics
 - some explanation of jmx
- interesting keys. I'm not familiar, but I imagine it's like a MIB. "We have an snmp MIB." "Great which keys are the ones we should definitely monitor?" "No idea." "Okay if I create a new load balancer where does that show up?" "No idea."

Ramin