On 3 August 2012 18:37, holger krekel <hol...@merlinux.eu> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:03 +0000, holger krekel wrote:

>> > I would argue the opposite, allowing the @factory decroator on
>> > pytest_funcarg__* seems like a more gentle progression giving more the
>> > impression that it is simply funcargs evolved.  To a newcomer it might
>> > otherwise look like funcargs where not thought out fully yet and make
>> > them think py.test just isn't stable enough yet.
>>
>> But when using the factory decorator on pytest_funcarg__ named functions,
>> they shall at least not be able to receive "request" anymore, right?
>> (The current implementation probably allows it but i feel uneasy about it).

Yes, I think the same logic applies as with decorating setup_module
with @setup: it "consumes" the function and it's old meaning is gone.
The only difference here is probably that it strips pytest_funcarg__
from the name.

> One more thought: What will actually happen  if you grep for "def
> FUNCARGNAME" - does this not usually yield the location of your factory
> and very few or no false positives?

Yes, and easily spotted when using grep -B1.  To be fair I don't think
this is a major issue.  We will still find our funcargs fine just as
we find any other code.  The old way was just super convenient and I
think that is the only reason we're making a fuss.

Regards,
Floris