Am 25.03.2020 um 10:34 schrieb Justin Pryzby:
I think I would leave the "positive" variable names, and *add* negative forms
of the commandline options.  --no-foo and/or --foo=no

Yes, that would be nice. Unfortunately, the options are not interpreted by us, but by distutils. The way the options are currently defined in PyGreSQL they act as booleans that do not take arguments, i.e. you can set --foo, but not --foo=false. Unfortunately how the options are interpreted is not well documented (at least I find nothing), so I had to look into the Python source and found distutils uses getopt to parse the raw options. Therefore it is possible to require arguments by writing a "=" after the name of the argument in user_options, e.g.

    ('escaping-funcs=', None, "enable string escaping functions"),

When defined that way, we will be able to pass "--escaping-funcs=no" or "--escaping-funcs false" as an option. When 'escaping-funcs' is added to boolean_options, then the argument needs to be something like 0/false/no or 1/true/yes and will be converted to a Python bool.

Unfortunately, getopt does not allow default arguments. So it looks like we have to choose between:

1) Either two options --escaping-funcs and --no-escaping-funcs, both without arguments or
2) one option --escaping funcs with a mandatory boolean argument

In both cases, when we set self.escaping_funcs = None in initialize_options, we can implement the ternary on/off/default.

Not sure whether 1) or 2) is better, what do you think?

-- Christoph