A year or so ago, I managed to get a small tool working with Pyinstaller
using Anaconda2.  I'm hoping to get the same tool working again using a
fairly current PyInstaller, so that I might sign the code.  So far, I've
hit a lot of roadblocks and am hoping for a bit of advice.

TL; DR: What combination of Python + PyInstaller is happiest on OS X?

Take the following simple sample:

import matplotlib
#matplotlib.use('Qt4Agg')
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np

print(matplotlib.get_backend())

t = np.arange(0.0, 2.0, 0.01)
s = np.sin(2*np.pi*t)
plt.plot(t, s)

plt.xlabel('time (s)')
plt.ylabel('voltage (mV)')
plt.title('About as simple as it gets, folks')
plt.grid(True)
plt.show()

Feel free to pick a backend for matplotlib, but I've spent hours and hours
trying to get this bundled up.  I've worked the current Anaconda3 and I've
worked Python 2.7 from MacPorts.  For the life of me, I can't get things
working.  Is there a wisdom here on system vs. homebrew vs. Macports vs.
anaconda?  Python version?  If anyone has some success story here to share
that I could use as a starting point, I'd appreciate it.