On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 2:08:46 PM UTC-4, davecortesi wrote:

> OK let's wrap this up with a ribbon. So we verified that this...
>
>     pyinstaller --clean -y --oneDIR --add-data.wavFiles;wavFiles
> myscript.py
>
> created a folder dist/myscript which contains
>
> * all the support files (there's a shit-ton of them, no?)
> * the wavFiles the program expects
> * an executable myscript.exe
>
> and the latter, when executed in the context of that folder, runs. Yipee!
>
> You have two options. One, distribute the folder.
>
> You make a zip archive of that myscript folder and distribute that to your
> users. They expand it to get a folder on their desktop or their Downloads
> folder or wherever, and  you can instruct them to just run myscript.exe in
> that folder, and they're off.
>
> Or you can instruct them to right-click myscript.exe, select Make alias
> (or whatever the term is, I don't have a Windows system in front of me to
> try), and they can drag that alias wherever they like and use that to start
> your app.
>
> Downside of this is, somewhat more complicated instructions to your users.
>
> One advantage is that you can manually drop other things in the folder
> before zipping it, like a README file, or a set of "extras" that you want
> to distribute. Example files maybe. Usage documentation.
>
> Two, you can distribute a single executable:
>
>    pyinstaller --clean -y --oneFILE --add-data.wavFiles;wavFiles
> myscript.py
>
> Now you should have a self-contained executable dist/myscript.exe and that
> should also run, without needing a folder full of support files and wav
> files. (Because it contains all that and re-creates it in temp storage
> every time you run it.)
>
> You can zip it up and distribute it; advantage it is a single program,
> simple explanation for users. Disadvantage, your README and your extras,
> have to be distributed separately.

Thank you, Dave, once again for your help.  But I fear the matter hasn't
been wrapped with a bow quite yet.

I like your second suggestion, because it is easier for on the recipient
than the first.  The only trouble is that when I use the command:

"pyinstaller --clean -y --onefile --add-data wavFiles;wavFiles myscript.py"
and I get a single file myscript.exe in the build folder, and when I click
on this folder, myscript runs, but the wave files don't work.

What am I doing wrong?

Owen