I have it working now.

I had to build SDL from tarball source -- the RPM wouldn't even
./configure, much less build a binary (which was my preferred
approach).

Building it required installing slang-devel and smpeg-devel, both of
which were in the SuSE 9.3 collection, and, I don't *think*, anything
else.

I note that it doesn't handle full-screen well (1280x1024), speedwise;
is there something I should be doing there?

My production environment will be a little tiny window on my KJ
display, and probably 640x480x8 on the playback monitor (are we doing
dual-monitor yet?  Or will I have to do an X-splice somehow?); will
that be fast enough to keep up?

And, finally, I note that my rip was kinda messy.  Will cdparanoia
properly extract the subcode?  Is there error correction *on* the
subcode?  Or am I going to have to preview all 4000 tracks before I
turn them lose?

(Will: there's another button for the interface: "Problem with track --
rerip"  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        "Space is called 'space' because there's so much *space* there."
                - John Walker, of Fourmilab, on Trek's End