On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 04:19:23PM -0400, William Ferrell wrote:
>    On 6/25/06, Jay R. Ashworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>      On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 02:13:48PM -0400, William Ferrell wrote:
>      >    On 6/25/06, Jay R. Ashworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>      >
>      >      On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 01:36:00PM -0400, William Ferrell wrote:
>      >      >    I've relocated to Florida (Palm Bay), and am trying to set
>      >      >    up shop here as a KJ.
>      >      Well, no shit.  Welcome to sunny (where, by sunny, right now I
> mean
>      >      'rainy') Florida.
>      >
>      >    Indeed. It's quite a bit nicer than Colorado's weather though.
>      I'll bet.
>
>    Heh. Yeah. You joke until you realize that last year it SNOWED
>    IN JUNE there. That sucked, and filled me with much annoyance.
>    Colorado natives can NOT drive correctly in snow. They all just buy
>    four-wheel drives to compensate.

Hee.

>    At least the wrecks are entertaining as long as you're not involved in them
>    :P

I'll bet.

>      So I found out further down, and forgot to go back and edit this.  Nice
>      to have a portable skill, though, isn't it?
>
>    It is, yes. I love freelance software development. Because I'm
>    single (dammit) and have no local "ties" really I can just up
>    and "take a vacation" to some other exotic spot (though for now,
>    Florida is plenty "exotic" compared to my previous port of call)
>    and keep on working; clients rarely (if ever) need to actually meet
>    face-to-face.

Indeed.

My chops are mostly system and network admin, and help desk, which are
slightly less portable.  I used to be a coder, but I much prefer to
design (which is just as well, since so few *coders* are decent
designers...)

>      >    Same here. I've got a Python module built that can automatically
>      >    handle song rotations ( i.e. you hand it names, songs, etc., and
>      >    it timestamps each submission (and new singer), counts total
>      >    performances by each singer per night, and performs weighted,
>      >    balanced rotation management to keep the "average wait time per
>      >    singer" down.
>
>      How does that play in Peoria?  Most of the KJs in my market use strict
>      rotation, and most of the circuit singers don't well tolerate anyone
>      who doesn't.  Including me.  :-)
>
>    I've been to many karaoke shows here in Palm Bay/Melbourne now, and
>    I am consistently annoyed with how rotations run, because nobody
>    runs them like I do. :)

<chuckle>

>    Nobody seems to run a rotation the same way either, and the net
>    result is people end up waiting too long. The guy who runs most of
>    the shows I attend now does something really funky -- instead of
>    smoothly blending new and old singers together into rotations, he
>    does it in batches. One old singer, three new ones, one old one,
>    four new ones, etc. That has the effect of putting people off and
>    making people wait longer than necessary.

I suppose it's time to start figuring out what can be optimzed for, and
what that optimization pessimizes. Do we have a wiki yet?  :-)

>    The management system I wrote was initially just strict rotation
>    (FIFO), but that doesn't fly.

Flies just fine here... why doesn't it fly other places?  Oh, wait:
you're about to explain.  :-)

>                                     The new one was designed with these
>    principles and goals in mind:

>    1) A singer who arrives early (or at least on time) at show start
>    and stays until the show closes should get to sing more songs (and
>    with as "even" a wait between songs as possible) than someone who
>    turns up later.

Straight rotation handles this: the size of the full singer list
follows a bell curve; the early rotations may be 4 to 6 singers, even
though the largest one is 24 singers.

The tighter a show you play, the more benefit the early arrivers get.

>    2) A singer who shows up an hour before the show closes should have
>    at least a *chance* to sing one song if at all possible.

This is *usually* not a problem at my most common show; attrition is
pretty hard after the Big Rotation.

>    3) Apart from respecting 1 & 2, singers should sing on a
>    first-come-first-served basis, mixing new singers with old once the
>    first rotation is finished.

Hmmm...

>    The end result of all this juggling is that a person who shows up
>    right at 9:00pm at show start will still get to sing three songs
>    if I have forty singers in a night, while someone who shows up at
>    midnight (show closing at 1:00am) will sneak in and get one song.
>    Everybody else waits a uniformly average amount of time ( i.e.
>    everybody waits about the same amount of time, give or take a few
>    minutes, between their songs). That wait increases as people get
>    added, but it's uniform; there's no "special treatment".

"Special treatment" is like "special interest". It depends on your
viewpoint.

>    It always went over very well in Colorado, mostly because the
>    computer *displays* the whole process (you see your name appear in
>    a different color if you're a new singer, and you see the colors
>    staggered) between every song and people can see where they are
>    on the rotation. When someone sees the list grow and change, they
>    understand they're not the only singers and don't bitch about wait
>    time. When they see that when they're new, they bump somebody, they
>    don't get upset when a new singer bumps them later.

Yeah; having the computer do it probably helps a lot.  "The Computer
Says So" has great weight these days.

And, of course, running a visibly tight show helps a *lot*.

>    When I ran this rotation method without showing it on screen
>    anywhere, people constantly asked when their turn was, how long
>    the wait was, etc. Since I started showing the whole thing in a
>    grid, those questions all but stopped. It may actually just be
>    showing people how it's working that makes it effective, not the
>    method itself, but it does help keep things flowing fast. Keep
>    in mind that because the machine helps run some of this (some of
>    my Javascript stuff implements some of this), the shows I run go
>    very *fast*. As I'm calling for applause for the singer who's just
>    finished a song, the computer/player is already ready for the next
>    song, the computer's displaying the new singer's name, and I'm
>    announcing the next singer right away. There's still filler music,
>    but the only actual delays come in waiting for singers to get on
>    and off the stage, and some occasional videos mixed in for good
>    measure.

I've told you, I think, about the show I used to go to back in 96-97;
they had *two* laserdisc players, and we'd often crossfade; singers
would pass one another on the steps.  We got 16-18 singers an hour in
there.  Which was good, because we might get 40 singers in a night.

>    Overall it works, and I think here it'd be accepted just fine. I
>    hear lots of complaints from people about how shows are run here,
>    so I think what I do is different (and better) enough that it'll
>    please people here. If not, I can package it and sell it :P

That's my goal, yeah.

>      Glad you jumped early enough, though, perhaps, not as early as you'd
>      have liked.
>
>    Well, I could have saved a lot of money had I not moved here, but
>    I'm here now so I must make the most of it. As far as she goes, I
>    just have to start over with a new kind of relationship with her;
>    one that, sadly, will be more guarded than it used to be, at least
>    for awhile. There's been a lot of trust lost, and that can be hard
>    to regain. It's not as if I intend to make it "hard" for her to get
>    a friendship going again, it's just that it might *be* difficult.
>    Who the hell knows?

An excellent question.

At least you get to ask it.  :-}

If you're in the mood for some vicarious romance in the meantime, and
you're a House fan, you might check out

        http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2371900/1/

and, if you're a fast enough reader, it's sequel:

        http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2778397/1/

Worked for me... right up until the end, when I smacked into the Real
World again, of course.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]