Hi, list...

This thread is connected to the "Deploying Pylons applications as Debian
packages just that I would like to suspend discussing whether the Debian
package management system or easy_install is better for the moment. :) I'm
trying to provide an easy way to deploy Pylons projects as Debian packages
and thus have written a little Python program to add a debian/ directory
to an existing Pylons project that allows the project to be built into a
Debian package. That raises a few questions which - as I just learned on
IRC - are not only Debian-specific but touch the deployment process
altogether. So I decided to take it to the list again.

First of all: the script is located at http://workaround.org/pylons. I'm
looking forward to your comments.

To build the actual Debian package I run these steps:

python${PYVER} setup.py install \
   --root debian/${PACKAGE} \
   --single-version-externally-managed

mv
debian/${PACKAGE}/usr/lib/python${PYVER}/site-packages/${EGG}-${DEB_UPSTREAM_VERSION}-py${PYVER}.egg-info

\
debian/${PACKAGE}/usr/lib/python${PYVER}/site-packages/${EGG}-${DEB_UPSTREAM_VERSION}.egg-info

And it looks like the application is well contained within the resulting
Debian package. All that's missing is the "production.ini". I wondered
where it comes from. David (Smith) told me that the template for ini files
is located under "dnsdhcp.egg-info/paste_deploy_config.ini_tmpl" which is
true. But that file is only created when building an egg - but not when
running just "python2.4 setup.py install".

Whose job is it to create the ini file? David said that usually Pylons
applications are just eggs and that the web server administrator sets up
the paster and the production.ini file referring to all the Pylons
applications he/she desires to run. Currently (and also because I'm scared
by Paste because I don't have a complete picture of what it is or does) I
would want the Debian package to provide an example production.ini file
for a Pylons application and provide init.d scripts that launch "paster
serve" from that ini file.

I just tried "paster make-config --no-install helloworld production.ini"
but that got an exception "Some #directives are missing their corresponding
#end ___ tag: cache". I think the template is broken somehow.

David also scared me a bit on IRC when he said that the setuptools
deployment is not perfect. Are there arguments against the above way to
distribute Pylons projects? After all I'd like my project to run well on a
server without playing around. Copying the files and launching the "paster
serve" server from the shell is not really an option. I'm eager to hear
your opinions about it. There has to be a common way to deploy Pylons
applications. Somewhere...

I'm really willing to follow a cryptic procedure. Or even help document it.
But currently I'm just anxious to run Pylons for production applications.
It doesn't "feel" like I have a proper way to run them in
production. "paster serve --reload ..." is nice on my workstation. But
that's just for development. I can't seriously tell that to the web admin.

 Christoph

P.S.: /me wonders if TurboGears has better/clearer deployment mechanisms.