On Apr 29, 2008, at 9:18 AM, Andrew Smart wrote:

Digging further...

"," is the German version for "." in US... so it may be connected with
LOCALE...

And yes, it is!!!! If LOCALE is set to "Germany" cPickle writes "," instead
of "." (I tried it out...).

What happened? Since I need the German locale for my figures I set the
locale accordingly - somewhere in my software. cPickle writes the
_session_time float with "," after session.save().

I restart the server - the LOCALE is not set - Beaker tries to read the file
and crashes because the float is "wrongly" formatted...

ARG...

Does it make sense that cPickle uses the LOCALE settings? -> I don't know
(and don't care)...

That's the most bizarre thing I've seen. And apparently it isn't using the LOCALE when loading, or was that not set yet?

This apparently is a known bug as of 2 years ago:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-bugs-list/2006-April/033125.html

There appears to be a PEP related:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0331/

Not sure whether they've actually fixed it, what version of Python are you using?

Cheers,
Ben