On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Ross Vandegrift <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 01:38:24PM -0700, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
>>
>> I'm a little unclear on the better ways to deploy a Pylons app.
>>
>> My production servers run nginx -- is it better to use some fastcgi
>> support (if so, how?) or just do a "paster serve" and proxy to that
>> port?
>>
>> I've read a handful of ways on how-to-deploy apps, and all seem
>> different.  I've yet to see a comparison or "this is THE way to do it"
>> document.

There is no THE way to do it.  There are several ways which perform
well, and some of them may even work on your platform. I prefer HTTP
proxying because it's the closest to native request handling.

> This works really well.  It seems a lot of people hate FCGI for
> different reasons, but I have found it to be pretty awesome.

People hate FCGI because it was buggy and error-prone for years.
Maybe it has gotten better now.

> Apps are
> very stable, no complicated proxying, and it's almost as performant as
> mod_python.

As you see, "complicated" is in the eye of the beholder. :) I would
say proxying is less complicated than *CGI.

> I have considered converting our deployments to mod_python, but only
> recently acquired a practical staging environment to test things like
> that.

There was a point in using mod_python before mod_wsgi existed.  Now
that mod_wsgi exists, is more directly related to the task, and has a
better history of being reliable, why not use it?

--
Mike Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>