On Jan 27, 2009, at 10:20 PM, Eric Lemoine wrote:

I agree that it'd be good to have virtualenv shipped with Python. I
wish I did have to tell my Pylons application users to first download
virtualenv, dearchive it, extract virtualenv.py, etc.

Ah, on that front, some good news if they're running linux/OSX. A one- liner will download a bootstrap script, make a new virtualenv, and setup Pylons inside it:
curl http://pylonshq.com/download/0.9.7/go-pylons.py | python - mydevenv

Where mydevenv is the name of the virtualenv. I actually like this approach so much, I use it whenever deploying a Pylons app to first setup Pylons in a new virtualenv. Note that the installation docs document this:
http://pylonshq.com/docs/en/0.9.7/gettingstarted/#installing

Note if you take a look inside the go-pylons script, there's a section where you can declare commands to run in the new virtualenv, so you could further customize the bootstrap script to get your own Pylons app, install its dependencies, etc.

Cheers,
Ben