I'm wondering how best to implement this style of caching/page
generation with pylons/beaker:

On receiving a request, a cached copy of the response is returned
immediately, triggering an asynchronous update of the cached copy
behind the scenes. Requester never waits, though gets varyingly fresh
data back. (This is for an expensive set of monitoring pages, where we
can expect the requester to re-load if he wants to see something
fresher, but he might just be using the page for navigation or
overview so we want a quick response always.). It's also handy have
periodic updates of the cache at a rather slow max-staleness rate to
keep the cache contents relevant but not to-the-second fresh.

the mention of cache locking for multiple-readers-singler-writer here:
http://groovie.org/2009/04/22/beaker-1-3-is-juicy-caching-goodness

makes me wonder if what I'm describing has already been done and I've
just not found it, or would be most tastefully done as WSGI middleware
(what do the beaker calls look like for invalidating/refreshing
that?), or prettier to drop under Beaker's hood and try adding that as
a kind of cache refresh option down there?