>   I have downloaded the version (0.79.dmg.gz) of the PyMol package
> suggested by Luca Jovine, but don't know how to get a working version of
> Python installed.  The only links I can find are to Python .exe files
> for versions 2.1 and 1.5.2, and I have no idea which of the other
> downloads (xx-contrib, ext) are needed.  For that matter, is the v. 0.79

It's been a while since I played with the Mac version (0.79), but I recall
it not needing any additional installations.  Python is pretty tightly
integrated into PyMOL in the "default" setup, from what I can tell.
Anyway, the installed application should run with a simple double-click,
though I ended up invoking it from a shell.  I imagine the non-native
version would be considerably more complicated to set up, but I haven't
tried it.

> tutorials back in May - did anything come of that?  A basic intro to
> PyMOL is what I, a confirmed nonprogrammer (and damned proud of it)
> need, no doubt like many others.  Maybe some academics have already put

I've found the manual does an adequate job of introduction, even if it's
very outdated.  My only real complaint is that it barely touches on the
subject of programming with/for PyMOL (I'm a programmer, not a
crystallographer).

There's also this:

http://pymol.sourceforge.net/tutorial/index.html

It's geared towards Windows users, but this shouldn't make too much of a
difference.

-Nat