I have downloaded the version (0.79.dmg.gz) of the PyMol package suggested by Luca Jovine, but don't know how to get a working version of Python installed. The only links I can find are to Python .exe files for versions 2.1 and 1.5.2, and I have no idea which of the other downloads (xx-contrib, ext) are needed. For that matter, is the v. 0.79 really the latest for OS X, or is 0.82 or 0.83 options? Which Python will run in the Mac Unix environment and how do I invoke it (presumably from the terminal) if it will? You (W. Delano) make it clear that running PyMol within Python is not the way to go, then in the Mac, what is? I also see no links to documentation, nor do I find any obviously labeled documentation files in the download.

The Jaguar version of MacOS X (10.2) is supposed to have Python installed by default according to the online technotes (http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2053.html).

  Richard Gillilan
  MacCHESS, Cornell