Mark,

Despite the performance drop, I'm a big fan of presenting within PowerPoint
-- I think it is simply the best solution for Windows.

Note that within PowerPoint:

  - you can have your movie play automatically
  - you can start and stop the movie with a mouse click in order to discuss
certain states
  - you can chain movies together in subsequent slides in order to get the
effect you described.

Even with PowerPoint's up to 50% performance hit, I've found that it is
possible for a 2.2 Ghz Pentium 4 M to show decent full-screen video using
Microsoft's latest MPEG4 codec (added in Windows Media 8 or 9?).  Also note
that the performance hit is reduced when your presentation is running at
1024x768, as it will likely be doing when hooked up to a projector.

My latest Adobe Premiere recipe:

   Microsoft's MPEG4 V2, 960x720 @ 30 fps, which PowerPoint automatically
treats as full-screen (due it's wacky metrics).

Using this codec, a recent 24-second movie consumed only 4.5 MB of space,
but looks much better than a 640x480 Cinepak-based movie with a file size of
around ~40 MB.  It definitely pays to use the latest technology...