Ooops. Christopher Colbert pointed out that Andrea's (not Andreas') way of showing sidechains is incorrect. I copied this into my email (but not my script).

The long way to show a side chain is:
show sticks, resi 34 and not (name c,o,n and not pro/n)

[  and not:                                    ]
[  show sticks, resi 34 and not (name c,n,ca)  ]

Chris also pointed out that this feature exists somewhere in the pymol GUI ("For whatever selection, under the show menu, at the
bottom there is sidechain -> lines, sticks, spheres").  Thanks.

Andreas

Andreas Forster wrote:
The other day I got annoyed always having to type "and not (name c,n,ca)" when I want to see sidechains without the mainchain. The attached script takes care of this.

run sidechain.py
sidechain resi 34
(instead of "show sticks, resi 34 and not (name c,n,ca)")

Andreas

Andrea Spitaleri wrote:

snip

2) Related to the same molecules. I want to show sticks for the R-group of residue 34 only. I typed the command: show sticks, resi 34. But the backbone
atoms were shown also. Could anyone teach me how to show sticks for the
R-group only??

select 34AR, resi 34 and structure and not (name c,n,ca)
show sticks, 34AR

snip