Never get used to that only-reply-to-sender policy...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tsjerk Wassenaar <tsje...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 12:30 PM
Subject: Re: [PyMOL] What is the difference between Atom ID and Index
To: Martin Hediger <ma....@bluewin.ch>

Hi Martin,

ID is indeed the atom id from the coordinate (PDB) file. Index, AFAIK,
is the atom index in the model, starting from 1.

Probably you should get yourself acquainted with the command line and
with python, as it will help you to solve these and other problems.
For example, you can access properties from the atoms easily through
constructions like these:

x = [ at.id for at in cmd.get_model(selection).atom ]
y = [ at.index for at in cmd.get_model(selection).atom ]

That will first build a selection/model object, with a list of atoms
(.atom), over which you can iterate to extract some properties. To
check whether the index is indeed a straightforward list of increasing
numbers, you can then look at the output of

print y == range(1,len(y)+1)

Hope it helps :)

Tsjerk

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Martin Hediger <ma....@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> Dear All
> I'm trying to figure out for myself, what the two labels 'Label > Atom
> Identifiers > ID' and 'Label > Atom Identifiers > index' mean, or what
> the respective difference between the two is. For sure, the numerical
> value is very different when I show the labels in a structure. ID seems
> to be the index of the atom in the list of atom-descriptor lines in the
> PDB input file. But I cant figure out what 'index' is referring to.
>
> Any help on this would be very welcome.
>
> Martin

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.

post-doctoral researcher
Molecular Dynamics Group
* Groningen Institute for Biomolecular Research and Biotechnology
* Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials
University of Groningen
The Netherlands