Hey, Thanks for your earlier response on the issue.
Its quite important to me right now, since I am trying to interpolate
between two states of the same structure and therefore (let me call it
'physical') atom numbering has to be perfectly identical.
I looked into it but i cant quite get my following observation into
agreement with what you said.
I have a PDB file with 920 atoms. Starting from the top, with no 'TER'
or 'MODEL' or other PDB syntax elements, on line 909 of that file an
ATOM is stated (hydrogen), with the number '909' at the
"line-909".split()[1] position.
When I open the file in PyMOL and let it display
LABELS>ATOM_IDENTIFIERS>ID, I get '909' displayed in the model. Changing
the value at '909' in the PDB file to 950, reloading and redisplaying
the 'ID' labels, presents '950' also in the PyMOL viewer, even if the
ATOM is still on line 909 in the PDB file. How can this behavior be
explained with regard to what we were talking about previously? What
label-type is required to display the actual, non-label-dependent index
of the atom in the system? Does the functionality depend on whether
there are more detailed atom descriptors available, like residue type or
chain id?

Thanks one more time for any help on this.
Martin