Hi Martin,

not directly applicable to your question, but may be it directs your
thinking into a different direction. If I remember correctly Warren
pointed out a couple of year ago the p1m file format was supposed to
support downloading of structural information from the web with some
limited scripting options. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

        Carsten

http://www.mail-archive.com/pymol-users@lists.sourceforge.net