> From: jason.vertr...@schrodinger.com
> Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 09:36:29 -0500
> Subject: Re: [PyMOL] I just built pymol, comes up but hangs on any attempt to
> view a "test" pdb.
> To: marchy...@hotmail.com
> CC: li...@cowsandmilk.net; pymol-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> >> I suggest downloading the latest code, v1.5.0.4, from the open-source
> >> project page, if you want to build by hand.
> >>
> > see comments in my last post, I think that is what I did. Although
> > autoreconf may not have helped anything.
>
> I see the confusion now. We'll update SourceForge on our next release
> so that it says the latest is v1.5.0.5, not v1.5.0.1. To get the
> latest code, please do this:
>
> svn co https://pymol.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pymol/root/pymol/trunk/pymol
> pymol
>

> >> To build, you need Python 2.7 or later and the process is very simple:
> >>
> >> sudo python setup.py install
> >> sudo python setup2.py install
> >>
> > that was what created the first version I ran, it seemed fine until
> > I tried to display a test pdb then it hung in 100 cpu on one core.
>
> What kind of computer is this? What video card do you have?

Dell Laitittude, but this is probably due to other issues.

> > I don't really recall what the first version said, I think it was
> > hypothetical
> > as in "may need license" etc. The version from "./configure" had a whole
> > bunch of problems- simple syntax errors like missing comma to no
> > link to the ccealignmodule but once I kluged around the CGO problems
> > I think I was on my own :)
>
> The "make; make install" setup was deprecated a long time ago which is
> why this didn't work. We use Python distutils to build, as you've
> found out.

I never use python and I probably never would have gotten .1 to work if
I had to deal with that :)  I'm not sure of the rationale here but while
you were phasing out a number of things I thought that "make" was
just lagging, intended for developers.

> > Anyway it seems fine now, although attempting to use "fit" on my
> > 2 molecules gave a non-intuitive result I think the one was so mangled that
> > it had problems aligning them.
>
> Glad it's working. Fit is a mathematically optimal superposition of
> vector sets. Are your atom pairings correct? If you want to specify
> them manually, check out Wizard > Pair Fitting. If you send me the
> molecules I'm happy to take a look for you, too.

Thanks, I have no idea. Naive overlap was a bit confusing but I'm
dealing with simple things right now. I have 2 beta-carotene xtz files
created from scripts, one from the mmcif files on pdb.org and another
derived from jdftx after 300 position iterations using very
simple C and H models. In any case, I think part of the problem
is just using .53 for atomic/angstrom conversions but it looks like
"fit" results were bizarre: the 2 ends of the molecule were in about the same
place
but the chains extended in opposite directions from there ( it wasn't
immediately
obvious if I created some wierd linking errors based on this behaviour LOL).