Hi Ben,

We read the shaders from $PYMOL_PATH/data/shaders. We should be
reading them from $PYMOL_DATA/shaders. If you'd like to change this on
your own compiled PyMOL you'll need to change lines 411 and 418 of
pymol/layer0/ShaderMgr.c and rebuild. If you're a paying PyMOL
subscriber this should be fixed in the next update release. This might
not be the problem for you, though?

What is your $PYMOL_PATH set to? What is in there when you do a file
listing of that path from the shell?

Cheers,

-- Jason

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Ben Eisenbraun <b...@hkl.hms.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
>> > Ah, I bet this is because they are running it via X-forwarding over an
>> > ssh tunnel. I'm pretty certain that one of the reports came from a user
>> > running PyMOL this way, and I can duplicate the error messages running over
>> > a tunnel.
>> >
>> > Is this actually going to break anything?
>>
>> Yes -- volumes won't render correctly and the high-performance and
>> -quality graphics won't be enabled. However, you should still have
>> basic rendering and functionality.
>
> Is there a suggested workaround?
>
> I wonder how the shaders are actually loaded. In my local test case, the
> PyMOL directory is hosted on NFS and automounted to/from the same location,
> so in theory no matter which side is trying the fopen (or whatever), it
> should be able to find the file on disk at the same path.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> -ben
>
> --
> | Ben Eisenbraun