Hi Jett,

We are currently working on better (multi-level) transparency for all
representations, this will be a feature for the next PyMOL release.

In the current PyMOL version, you may see two artefacts for semi-transparent
spheres in real-time rendering:

1) The "shading" that you describe comes from unsorted triangles. This affects
the old non-shader rendering, where spheres are made from triangles. I assume
you use an older PyMOL version or a graphics driver which does not support
shaders.

2) New shader based sphere rendering (PyMOL 1.6+) looks much better, but for
two intersecting semitransparent spheres, only one of them will be transparent
with respect to the other one.

Ray tracing should show the correct transparency, so I wonder why it looks
solid for you. PyMOL by default does single-layer transparency per
representation (transparency_mode 2) Maybe you expect multi-layer, which would
be transparency_mode 1:

PyMOL> set transparency_mode, 1

Hope that helps.

--