Hi CY -

If you're using the -c flag, you shouldn't need a windowing system at all.  The
following works for me between a MacBook Air and an iMac, both running 10.9.5,
with MacPyMOL 1.7.6.0 installed on the iMac.

### begin shell ###
(macbook-air)~ › ssh jared@imac
Password:
Last login: Fri May 29 10:37:12 2015 from macbook-air
(imac)~ › /Applications/MacPyMOL.app/Contents/MacOS/MacPyMOL -cqkd "fetch 3opl,
async=0; save tmp.png"
PyMOL>fetch 3opl, async=0; save tmp.png
HEADER    HYDROLASE                               01-SEP-10   3OPL
TITLE     ESBL R164H MUTANT SHV-1 BETA-LACTAMASE
COMPND    MOL_ID: 1;
COMPND   2 MOLECULE: BETA-LACTAMASE SHV-1;
COMPND   3 CHAIN: A;
COMPND   4 SYNONYM: PIT-2;
COMPND   5 EC: 3.5.2.6;
COMPND   6 ENGINEERED: YES;
COMPND   7 MUTATION: YES
 ObjectMolecule: Read secondary structure assignments.
 ObjectMolecule: Read crystal symmetry information.
 Symmetry: Found 4 symmetry operators.
 CmdLoad: "./3opl.pdb" loaded as "3opl".
 Ray: render time: 0.99 sec. = 3622.2 frames/hour (0.99 sec. accum.).
 ScenePNG: wrote 640x480 pixel image to file "tmp.png".
(imac)~ › exit
logout
Connection to imac closed.
(macbook-air)~ ›
### end shell ###

The file ~/tmp.png is created on the iMac.  I also used -k to prevent PyMOL
from reading my ~/.pymolrc; and -d to pass the string of PyMOL commands.  If
you're running a .pml script, you don't need to include -d, just the path to
the script (which must be on the remote machine).  As you noted, when it runs I
see the MacPyMOL application icon pop into the Dock on the iMac and then
disappear as soon as the script finishes.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jared

--