Hi Jim -

This is something we've been talking about changing.  The entire scene as
viewed within PyMOL is inside that block, including the camera position.   (The
interior surface of the block itself provides the background color of the
scene.)  Some viewers, e.g. Mac Preview.app, default to displaying from the
camera position, but others, including MeshLab, don't, which is understandably
confusing.

To export only the geometry without any of the scene information, you can `set
geometry_export_mode, 1` in PyMOL before saving the .dae.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Jared

P.S. if you are able to work out a protocol/workflow for generating 3D PDFs
that is better than what's on the wiki, I hope you will consider updating the
wiki to help others who might try it in the future.

Jared Sampson
Columbia University

On Mar 23, 2016, at 8:26 PM, James Kress