Problem solved, thanks to Folmer Fredslund, to whom I am obliged!

So, I will give you an idiot's guide on how to make PyMOL to produce movies,
in Ubuntu:

* Download freemol-freemol.tar.gz from:

http://www.bioinformatics.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/freemol/trunk/freemol/?view=tar

* Copy freemol-freemol.tar.gz to a specific directory, eg /opt, typing:

sudo cp ~/Downloads/freemol-freemol.tar.gz /opt/.

* Unzip your file, typing:

cd /opt
sudo tar zxvf freemol-freemol.tar.gz

This is the tree of freemol directory:

.
├── bin
│   └── mpeg_encode.exe
├── include
├── lib
├── libpy
│   └── freemol
│       ├── apbs.py
│       ├── __init__.py
│       ├── mengine.py
│       └── mpeg_encode.py
├── licenses
│   └── mpeg_encode.txt
├── LICENSE.txt
├── README.txt
└── share

* Download freemol-mpeg_encode.tar.gz from:

www.bioinformatics.org/cgi-
bin/viewvc.cgi/freemol/trunk/src/mpeg_encode/?view=tar

* Unzip your file:

sudo tar ztvf freemol-mpeg_encode.tar.gz

* Define $FREEMOL directory. If this is /opt/freemol, type:

export FREEMOL=/opt/freemol

* Execute the following commands:

cd mpeg_encode
./configure
make
sudo make install

* If you have done it right, you have to see following two files:

/opt/freemol/bin/mpeg_encode.exe
/opt/freemol/licenses/mpeg_encode.txt

If you do not see them, the two files are probably at:

/bin/mpeg_encode.exe
/licenses/mpeg_encode.txt

In that case, just move them (sudo mv) to the appropriate directories.

* Type:

cd
cd bin/
pico pymol.sh

* Put this content into your script:

#!/bin/bash
FREEMOL=/opt/freemol
export FREEMOL
pymol

* Give execution rights to the script:

chmod 755 pymol.sh

* As ~/bin is in the $PATH, from now on, you should run pymol through this
script, by typing anywhere:

pymol.sh

Finally, I suggest that all this could be included in the source code of
pymol, in the following releases.

Best Regards,

Ioannis
--
Dr Ioannis Michalopoulos
Staff Research Scientist - Associate Professor Level

Tel: +30 210 6597 127
Fax: +30 210 6597 545
Email: imicha...@bioacademy.gr
Biomedical Research Foundation, Academy of Athens
Soranou tou Efessiou 4, 115 27 Athens, Greece