On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Isaac Gouy <igo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Wed, 4/6/11, Maciej Fijalkowski <fij...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> -snip-
>> > Do you mean the program you contributed is badly
>> skewed towards CPython?
>> >
>> > http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/program.php?test=nbody〈=pypy&id=1
>> >

>> No
>>

>> > Do you mean that the n-body problem is badly skewed
>> towards CPython?
>>
>> No, that would be nonsense. I would never discuss whether
>> those
>> benchmarks does represent typical workflow in language X
>> because it's
>> impossible to find such a set that's true for every X. I
>> never did
>> discuss the choice of problems.
>>

>> > Your PyPy program is shown as so much faster - how is
>> that "badly skewed towards CPython"?
>> >

>> That's true, but that's one that got through.
>

> I don't see how the program you contributed could be described as "one that
> got through".
>
> Here's what happened - I noticed the n-body program failed with PyPy, I asked
> you guys about the problem and was told "we have nbody_modified in our
> benchmarks" and then I asked you guys to contribute your modified program.
>
> http://morepypy.blogspot.com/2010/03/introducing-pypy-12-release.html
>
> Once you contributed the program modified for PyPy it was displayed on the
> website within 3 hours.

Cool, thank you.

>> For example reverse complement (the current version) is
>> skewed towards CPython.
>
> If only someone could manage to write a reverse complement skewed towards
> PyPy without using libc.write ;-)

Deal, we'll do that.

>> I'm fine with saying that ctypes (or numpy) are not allowed,
>> with a good explanation (and maybe an explanation why custom malloc
>> library is allowed for C and gcbench).
>>
>> Another question which was raised - are programs that only
>> work on PyPy allowed? (Due to pypy's extensions or cpython bugs).
>
> PyPy extensions - No.
>
> CPython bugs - How strange that the CPython bug was never mentioned! - maybe.

Ok. The bug was not mentioned because it takes time to decide "it's a bug".

>> Since programs that only compile on GCC clearly are.
>
> How many C language implementations are shown?
>
> How many Python language implementations are shown?
>
> If only one Python language implementation was shown do you think it would be
> PyPy ?

I can't really read your mind, but from my opinion if the question is
"how fast Python programs can be run" then the answer is Yes.

So the position is that GCC is allowed to use extensions because it's
the only C implementation shown and PyPy is not, because all Python
programs should run on each runtime, is that correct? I'm not stating
an opinion about it, I just want to know what the rules are.