On 25 January 2017 at 15:29, M.-A. Lemburg <m...@egenix.com> wrote:
> I also believe that the PSF should start stepping up and
> invest some money into helping with Python support. A lot
> of money is being spent on community work, but hardly any
> on development work at the moment.

Software maintenance is a commercial support activity that is normally
done for profit, so the PSF needs to be careful in how it approaches
it to avoid getting in trouble with the IRS (public interest charities
like the PSF operate under different taxation rules from trade
associations like the Linux and OpenStack Foundations, and hence have
a different set of constraints on their activities).

> By doing so, the PSF could also attract more sponsors, since
> sponsoring would then have a real tangible benefit to the
> sponsors.

This is the aspect the PSF needs to be careful about, as it's treading
very close to the line of activities that are better suited to a trade
association or for-profit corporation.

Something along the lines of the Twisted or Django fellowship would
likely be feasible - that would involve a grant request from the core
development community to fund someone to focus full-time on issue
triage and patch review for a designated period of time.

We'd need volunteers to help out with the review and selection process
for applicants for the role, as well as a volunteer to actually write
a grant proposal (including coming up with measurable objectives to
help the PSF judge whether or not the grant was a success).

Cheers,
Nick.