On 26 January 2017 at 17:34, A.M. Kuchling <a...@amk.ca> wrote:
> I mean, if funding software maintenance is illegal for a 501c3, then
> the FSF, Software Conservancy, Software in the Public Interest, Django
> Foundation, NumFOCUS, etc. are probably all illegal.

Note that I said the PSF needs to be careful in how it approaches the
question, not that it can't do it at all.

Problematic: "Commercial and other institutional end users are worried
about a lack of developer time being invested in maintaining long term
support branches, so the PSF should commit to funding that directly"
(this is the motivation where I believe the answer should be "Pay a
vendor for commercial support and tell them to work more actively on
the sustainability problem")

Entirely fine: "The core development community have submitted a grant
request to fund a dedicated part-time contract role for X months to
facilitate issue triage, patch reviews, and mentoring of potential new
core developers"

The latter motivation is about supporting the community and
facilitating its growth, which is entirely in line with the
Foundation's public interest mission.

Cheers,
Nick.