I wholeheartedly agree with Barry's suggestion.

It offers a single person who can communicate the design vision. While the
support of a council will help spread out the work and provides a great way
to grow future leaders and a smooth transition if for any reason (family,
work, health, etc.) the new BDFL has to take a break.