On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 4:23 AM Victor Stinner <vstin...@python.org> wrote:

> I dislike the Tier 1 rule "All core developers are responsible to keep
> these platforms, and thus ``main``, working."
>
> In my experience, "Everyone is reponsible" means in practice "nobody
> is responsible".

I don't think that applies here as you shouldn't even be merging a PR if it
breaks CI for these platforms. And if CI isn't good enough then we should
fix that.

If you still want a point of contact for those platforms then we can talk
about that, but I wouldn't expect the listed folks to be as critical on
those platforms to keep things functioning like they are for a tier 2 being
supported by a buildbot post-merge.

Or put another way, tier 1 platforms are so critical we can't be expected
to be dropped if someone isn't being responsive to questions, unlike tier 2
where we would probably drop a platform if folks weren't responsive enough.

> IMO you must also put two names in front of each
> platform. Otherwise, nobody will fix them when it will be broken, and
> the best that we will be able to do is to just revert the change
> breaking the CI which prevents adding new features just because nobody
> wants to fix the CI.
>
> Sometimes, a broken CI is unrelated to a Python change. Things break,
> *all the time*, for many various reasons including vacuum cleaners
> (*)!

But tier 1 is the CI we run on PRs, not in the Buildbot fleet.