On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 10:06 AM Neil Schemenauer <nas-pyt...@arctrix.com>
wrote:

> Making it an error so soon would be mistake, IMHO.  That will break
> currently working code for small benefit.  When Python was a young
> language with a few thousand users, it was easier to make these
> kinds of changes.  Now, we should be much more conservative and give
> people a long time and a lot of warning.  Ideally, we should provide
> tools to fix code if possible.
>
> Could PyPI and pip gain the ability to warn and even fix these
> issues?  Having a warning from pip at install time could be better
> than a warning at import time.  If linting was built into PyPI, we
> could even do a census to see how many packages would be affected by
> turning it into an error.

PyPI could warn on or reject packages at upload time when they contain
these kinds code compileall -> pyc time of issues.  that'd force the issue
to be in front of the package owners rather than anyone else.

Similarly, automation could proactively scan existing pypi packages
claiming py3 compatibility for the issue and reach out to owners.

But the issue becomes one of versions: we shouldn't be complaining about
older versions of packages to the package owners.  yet people are free to
list old versions or < constraints in their own packages requirements
regardless of what python version they're running on.

-gps