On 11/12/2021 11:31 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:

I think that proves the value of download counts: very little. The
highest on the list is a thing called botocore, which I've never heard
of. What is it? It's a dependency of a number of Amazon web services.
My guess is that it's a dependency of popular tools - or maybe of
automatically-installed tools, even - while not itself being well
known. Actually, quite a few of the most popular packages on that list
are Amazon-related, so quite possibly they're all being installed as a
set in response to one single *actual* dependency.

botocore and boto3 are the Amazon-provided low- and high-level interfaces, respectively, to AWS. They're extremely import and well known in that environment.

Eric