"Lawrence Oluyede" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> - I know what you meant to say but the paragraph about pythonicness
> and the security model seems a little "fuzzy" to me.

I agree that this paragraph is weak and recommend that it be rewritten.  In
particular, I think the 'pythonic*' words should go, especially if you
expect this document to be read by anyone other than dedicated pythonistas.
I would start with something like

"It is my goal that my thesis work be incorporated in some future version
of the Python distribution.  This has two constraints.  First, changes to
the core must not slow down normal operation.  Second, visible changes must
not violate the spirit and style of Python that make it a distinctive
language."

This alludes to the fact that your proposal discusses two highly
overlapping yet separate projects: write a thesis that gains you a PhD
degree; and produce an accepted patch set that give Python a useful
security capability it does not now have.  They have to be thought of as
somewhat separate because you have two sets of 'overseers' and approvers:
your thesis advisor and committee for the first; and Guido and other Python
developers for the second.

I think your thesis should currently be your first priority.  Your current
paragraph implied to me that you would not follow a promising line of
research if you could not see how to make it 'pythonic'.  If I were on your
thesis committee, I think that would bother me ;-).

In any case, I wish you the best with a double project that is obviously
not a 'gimme'.

Terry Jan Reedy (PhD, though not on any thesis committees)