Mark Hammond <skippy.hamm...@gmail.com> writes:

> The issue was that Python unconditionally changed the behaviour of the
> CRT, not only during the test suite.

Hmm... I was more or less referring to the state of the py3k tree as
of, say, r57823 back in 2007.  It appeared to just add access to the
necessary functions in the msvcrt module, and a -n/--nowindow option
to regrtest.py which then used those functions to disable stuff before
running the test, and finally added -n to the tools/buildbot/test.bat
file, so things got disabled in buildbot test runs.  (By disabled, I
believe that all of the CRT warning/error/assert went to stderr)

So nothing permanently built into Python, nor enabled outside of a
buildbot regression test.  I agree permanently disabling them wouldn't
make sense, but I thought we also agreed to that back in 2007?

-- David

PS: The dialogs are showing up again on my build slave.  I tried
clearing it but then like 6+ of them showed up and kept showing up
even though I kept aborting them (I guess the tests kept running new
python_d instances or something).  I finally managed to catch up and then
whack the python_d processes manually through task manager.  Really seems
like disabling them can only make things more robust, otherwise the
Windows build slaves are just going to keep ending up unresponsive.