Collin Winter wrote:
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 2:27 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:
Thomas Wouters <thomas <at> python.org> writes:
Pystone is pretty much a useless benchmark. If it measures anything, it's the
speed of the bytecode dispatcher (and it doesn't measure it particularly well.)
PyBench isn't any better, in my experience.

I don't think pybench is useless. It gives a lot of performance data about
crucial internal operations of the interpreter. It is of course very little
real-world, but conversely makes you know immediately where a performance
regression has happened. (by contrast, if you witness a regression in a
high-level benchmark, you still have a lot of investigation to do to find out
where exactly something bad happened)

Perhaps someone should start maintaining a suite of benchmarks, high-level and
low-level; we currently have them all scattered around (pybench, pystone,
stringbench, richard, iobench, and the various Unladen Swallow benchmarks; not
to mention other third-party stuff that can be found in e.g. the Computer
Language Shootout).

Already in the works :)

As part of the common standard library and test suite that we agreed
on at the PyCon language summit last week, we're going to include a
common benchmark suite that all Python implementations can share. This
is still some months off, though, so there'll be plenty of time to
bikeshed^Wrationally discuss which benchmarks should go in there.
Where is the right place for us to discuss this common benchmark and test suite?

As the benchmark is developed I would like to ensure it can run on IronPython.

The test suite changes will need some discussion as well - Jython and IronPython (and probably PyPy) have almost identical changes to tests that currently rely on deterministic finalisation (reference counting) so it makes sense to test changes on both platforms and commit a single solution.

Michael

Collin

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog